Saturday, April 26, 2014

How did Summer Striders begin?

How did Summer Striders come to be?

As part of my previous job 6 years ago, I created this program (called something else back then) to help people get ready for the Parlor City Trot 10K.  Although the program was purely meant to market rehabilitation services at a local hospital, I found myself a very reluctant participant.  I ultimately finished the 10 week program and completed the PCT 10K race . . . and.fell.in.love.with.racing!!!!  I walked all but the last 1/4 mile of the race and thought I was going to die the whole time, but I did it with a friend and crossing the finish line was a "high" I have never before experienced.  I knew immediately that EVERYONE needed to feel like this.  I went on to do more than 60 races, 8 of which were half marathons.  I developed deep life long friendships with my running partners and have trained hundreds of people to walk and/or run past their personal comfort levels and achieve more than they ever thought they could.  Unfortunately, during a training session in May 2012, I had a terrible fall and have been sidelined with injury ever since.  I'm hopeful to return to running and look forward to being able to cross the next finish line.  Until then - I'm feel blessed to be able to help you work toward your goals.